Live Sustainably This Summer
The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources offers a wealth of information to live a more sustainable lifestyle:
- Install a cool roof. Light-colored roofs are more reflective and use less energy for air conditioning. Metal roofs and reflective asphalt shingles both can be installed on existing homes and might be eligible for tax credits.
- Light up with LEDs. Switch from incandescent bulbs to LEDs, which last twenty-five times longer and use 80 percent less energy.
- Slow your flow. Low-flow toilets, faucets, and fixtures can reduce water usage by 20 to 30 percent and decrease the energy needed to pump, treat, and heat water.
- Switch to showers. A five-minute shower uses twelve to twenty gallons of water, whereas a full bathtub typically requires seventy gallons.
- Reflect on energy savings. To save on cooling and heating your home, apply reflective window film. It also will enhance privacy, reduce glare, and limit UV radiation.
For more great tips, go to iconservepa.org, managed by the PA DCNR.